Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review: Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1


Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1
By: Wataru Yoshizumi


Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 202 pages
Publisher: TokyoPop; illustrated edition edition (April 23, 2002)
ISBN-10: 1931514542
ISBN-13: 978-1931514545

Vonze: 4.5 out of 5


Book Description: "Talk about dysfunctional! Miki is horrified to learn that her parents have swapped with another couple, and that all four now plan to live under one roof. But when her new stepbrother, Yuu, shows up, he appears to be just the one to ease her mental anguish... that is, until she sees the bitterness beneath his cool exterior. The strange romance that follows would make any love triangle seem ordinary by comparison."

Okay, sometimes I do feel bad about my family...my parents divorced when I was a kid and my dad had two major relationships afterwards, before he passed away. My life has been complicated by my parents' lives. However, I would not trade places with Miki's character for anything!

At the beginning of Marmalade Boy, Miki, a Japanese high school student, is shocked to learn her parents are divorcing. What's more, they both plan to get married again right away...to the Matsuuras, a couple they met on vacation. Miki's mom plans to marry Mr. Matsuura and Miki's dad plans to marry Mrs. Matsuura. And if that wasn't freaky enough, they're all cool and friendly about it. In fact, they decide it would be best for Miki and her future step-brother's sake if all they live together as one BIG happy family. Miki is the only sane one, who is completely opposed to the idea. Comedy ensues.

I found this aspect of the story to be hilarious. Miki is a sweet girl, but the way she freaks out is classic.

This volume sets the stage for a love triangle between Miki's old crush and her future step-brother. The plot was funny and kept me guessing. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails