Monday, April 19, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire double review!



The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press (September 14, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0439023483
ISBN-13: 978-0439023481





Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (September 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0439023491
ISBN-13: 978-0439023498

Vonze: 5 out of 5

Wowowowow! I don't know if there are words for how much I enjoyed The Hunger Games and Catching Fire! Harry Potter was forever ago, Twilight is old news, check these books out!

If you asked Oshie, Oshie would tell you that I was glued to these books. I started The Hunger Games March 7th and I had finished Catching Fire by March 21, often staying up all night to read some more, but at the same time wishing it wouldn't end. I hate that Mockingjay doesn't come out until August 24th, because I want to know what happens to the characters and their world so badly.

I don't want to give much away, but let me describe the plot of the books a little.

The main character, Katniss, lives in District 12 with her mom and younger sister. District 12 is a part of the country of Panem, which was formerly the United States of America. However, Panem is a far cry from the United States. The people live within fences and have few rights. At one time, the people tried to overthrow Panem, which lead to the creation of the Hunger Games. In order to display its control over the people, the Capitol of Panem holds a lottery each year and selects one boy and one girl from each district to play in the Hunger Games. Only play is the wrong word. The Hunger Games is a Olympic-ish, Survivor-like, gladiator death match in which only one person can win. That's right, teenagers killing teenagers for sport on live tv.

When Katniss signs up for the Hunger Games in the place of her little sister, I had no idea what was going to happen next. This page turning book left me guessing till the end. It didn't help that she made friends with some of the other players. I kept asking myself, is she really going to kill them?

After I finished Hunger Games, I directly picked Catching Fire up. It is a worthy sequel, just as good as the first and only adds more questions and complications to the plot.

My favorite thing about The Hunger Games and Catching Fire is Katniss' character. She is probably the strongest, yet not overly boy-ish, female character I have ever read. She is one tough cookie. She hunts, she fends for her family and friends and she has a drive to survive.

I also enjoy the romantic subplot. Katniss is a no-nonsense type of girl. She's not swooning over any guy. However, it seems that she slowly develops feelings for two of the guys in her life. One guy, Gale, is her best friend from District 12. Gale helped her hunt and survive before the Hunger Games. The other guy, Peeta, has secretly admired her from afar for years. Peeta has helped motivate her and is determined she will win the Hunger Games. Who she'll really fall for is completely up in the air at this point.

With that said, I cannot wait for Mockingjay!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and get money for every visitor to your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails