Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review: Pride and Prejudice (Graphic Novel)



Pride and Prejudice (Graphic Novel) by Jane Austen, Nancy Butler, Hugo Petrus

Hardcover: 120 pages
Publisher: Marvel Books (October 26, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 078513915X
ISBN-13: 978-0785139157

Vonze: 4 out of 5

Book Description:"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife... Tailored from the adored Jane Austen classic, Marvel Comics is proud to present Pride & Prejudice! Two-time Rita Award-Winner Nancy Butler and fan-favorite Hugo Petras faithfully adapt the whimsical tale of Lizzy Bennet and her loveable-if-eccentric family, as they navigate through tricky British social circles. Will Lizzy's father manage to marry off her five daughters, despite his wife's incessant nagging? And will Lizzy's beautiful sister Jane marry the handsome, wealthy Mr. Bingley, or will his brooding friend Mr. Darcy stand between their happiness?"

Okay, so, ever since I saw Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice, I have been obsessed. Anything that involves Jane Austen = I have to check it out.

So, one day while Oshie and I were browsing through Booksmillion, I was excited to find the first issue of the Pride and Prejudice comic on the stand. The cover looked really cool, but then I looked inside and was really disappointed by the illustrations. The characters weren't very pretty like I had hoped for them to be. Maybe I was hoping for a more anime style Pride and Prejudice and less of an American-style comic illustration, dunno.

Disappointed, I decided not to buy the comic. However, about a week later it started to bother me, cause I've been collecting Jane Austen stuff for a while now, and you know, maybe it'd be worth some money someday. Afterwards, I went back and bought it and the issues that followed.

The comics (which are now a graphic novel) follow the book really well, even better than the movie. Although I'm still really disappointed in the illustrations (I can hold out hope for a manga version), this graphic novel is still a good read. Unlike Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (lol), this graphic novel would be more helpful to students who have to read the book for class. I think it would help students visualize what happens in the story. For students and collectors alike, I wish Marvel would turn other Jane Austen books into graphic novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails