Friday, May 20, 2011

Review: The Host

The Host (The Host, #1)The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I was pleasantly surprised by The Host. I really didn't know what to expect, Twilight with aliens, maybe?

I listened to the audiobook, which was well done, even though it uses only one voice actor. The first couple of chapters are very confusing and slow. I'll admit, if I had been reading the book instead of listening to it, I probably would have sat the book down and tried it again later. But it you stick with it, it gets better.

Basically, in a nutshell, alien lifeforms have invaded Earth prior to the beginning of the book. The lifeforms, or Souls, as they call themselves, live many lifetimes by using "host" bodies. Humans are their newest "host" bodies. The story follows one Soul, called Wanderer, who has a problem. Normally, when a Soul takes over a host, the host's mind fades away. The mind of Wanderer's host is not fading away. It's like she has two personalities inside her brain. The host's mind is so strong, that Wanderer actually begins caring about her host's old family and decides to go look for them among a group of rebel humans hiding in the desert.

The story does have a very strange love triangle (or more like love square? I'm not sure what to call it) between the host and her old partner, Wanderer and the host's partner and Wanderer and a rebel human that she grows to care for. But, with that said, I wouldn't categorize The Host as a romance. The story mainly focuses on Wanderer's struggle with her host and the human struggle to survive without being caught by the Souls.

Although I'm a scifi movie fan, I haven't read that much scifi, so I don't know what to compare it to. The human resistance reminds me a little of Terminator, but the Souls are nothing like killing machines.

I really enjoyed the scifi world that Stephanie Meyer created in the story. The book really doesn't need a sequel, but needless to say, I still look forward to one.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've heard such good things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this book! It is the first book in a long time that had me tearing up :) Apparently a sequel is on the way - it will be set in the same world but not with the same characters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails