Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Red Riding Hood


Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Poppy; Mti edition (March 16, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316190853

Vonze: 3 out of 5

Book description: "Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town.

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die."

Well, first off, the cover is awesome. Judging by the cover, I just knew that the Red Riding Hood character in the story was fighting werewolves with that ax, being a kick-arse heroine.

However, now that I've read the story, I don't think the character ever held an ax. She turned out to be more like werewolf bait than a fighter.

But, my cover delusions aside, the story was just okay. Valerie's sister is killed by a werewolf, and then everyone in town is suspected of being the wolf. Is it Valerie's fiance? Is it her childhood sweetheart that's suddenly back in town? Is it her strange witch-like grandma? Is it one of her friends? The suspense of not knowing who the Wolf was kept me reading, but, honestly, I didn't care for Valerie as a heroine. I guess I wanted her to be apart of the action so badly, that when she was more focused on moping over her childhood sweetheart, than saving the town, I was disappointed.

I haven't seen the movie, but I guess I'm still interested enough to rent it. The previews looked nice, but much like my thoughts on the cover, I could be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I was looking at this in a bookshop the other day because I'd seen the film trailers and it looks fairly decent like a decent film. I wasn't even aware it was book-based til then!

    I think I'm going to buy it at some point, but from what you've said, I'm not desperate to read it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails