Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy SummerTwenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Twenty Boy Summer is a well-written, and very moving, coming-of-age YA about love, grief and how life goes on. If you can't get to the beach this summer, this book will take you there mentally.

I don't normally read YA contemporaries (unless they're romantic comedies), but prior to buying Twenty Boy Summer I read great reviews for it, and decided to see if it lived up to the fuss for myself. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I loved how mature and realistic this book was.

As the book summary hints at, Anna always had a crush on her best friend's brother, and he returned her feelings just weeks before he died. He made her promise to keep their romance a secret because he wanted to tell his sister himself, in time, to make sure she approved and wasn't shocked. When he passes away, Anna decides to keep their secret forever. She's unsure how his family would react if she told them, unsure if she was just a fling to him or something more. However, a year later, when his family invites her on vacation and her best friend wants to hunt for boys on the beach, Anna is forced to deal with emotions she's locked up inside, and learn that you can move on without forgetting.

Books don't normally make me cry, but this one came very close, not because I was sad, but because I was so moved by situations the characters overcame.

Sarah Ockler is definitely an author to follow.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails