Monday, June 13, 2011

Review: Vampire Academy (#1)

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


At first, I was honestly afraid I wasn't going to like this book. But I kept reading and the plot thickened, and I found that the world of Vampire Academy is interesting and easy to get hooked on.

The main character Rose Hathaway and her best friend, Lissa, are St. Vladimir's Academy runaways (secret school for vampire kids), who are caught and dragged back to school as the book begins. Rose and Lissa aren't your normal runaways. Lissa is a Moroi Vampire Princess and Rose is a Dhampir training to be Lissa's bodyguard. Why they ran away from a high school where they had all the freedom of college, remains a mystery until nearly the end of the book. Did they want a more human life? Did they hate something about St. Vladimir's? Is St. Vladimir's unsafe? The book kept me guessing all of those questions.

I initially didn't like Rose's character and that fact made me worried I wouldn't like the book. Rose seemed very overprotective of Lissa for no reason and their friendship appeared almost one-sided to me. I probably wouldn't have jumped to that conclusion if the book had shared more of Lissa's perspective to begin with. Anyhow, for me, this one was one of those books I had to stick with to get the whole picture. And I'm very glad I did! I look forward to catching up on the other novels in this series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails