Friday, July 15, 2011

Farewell Harry Potter


First off, let me apologize for the lack of reviews, I've finished several books, but haven't had time to review them due to some family events and health issues that my grandmother is facing.

Can you believe that the last Harry Potter movie is finally here? For my family, going to see the newest Harry Potter movie has become a tradition of sorts. I was 15 when the first Harry Potter movie was released and I'm 25 now...feels like the end of an era for me.

My Harry Potter story: Unfortunately, I didn't start reading the Harry Potter series until 2004. I had taken my younger brother to see The Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and enjoyed the movies, but never really considered reading them. That changed when the third movie, Prisoner of Azkaban, came out about a month after I graduated high school. I loved the time-travel element of the movie and the plot seemed more complex than the first two. Intrigued, and finally having a free summer to read to my own content, I bought the first novel from the Science Fiction Book Club. At first, I was amazed at how a kid's book held my then-teenage attention, and, then I was hooked. I caught up to reading Order of the Phoenix, and then, luckily, was able to get in on the excitement of the Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows releases.


Being from the deep South, I know a lot of people who look down on the Harry Potter novels. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. However, a lot of time I get the feeling that people have judged these books based on what someone else told them, and not because they checked the books out for themselves and found something lacking. Everyone has their own reading tastes, so if you've read one of the books and didn't like it, more power to you for being honest. But for people who've judged books whose covers they've never opened, I urge them to look into those books for themselves. Harry Potter is not a perfect character, he gets into a lot of trouble at school, but in the end he is a loyal friend and a savior archetype, and there's lessons to be learned from that.

I know a lot of you will be going to see the last movie today or this weekend. Traditions being traditions, I have decided to wait until next week when I can see it with my family.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails