Sunday, January 22, 2012

Review: You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl

You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the PoolYou Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool by Celia Rivenbark

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Celia Rivenbark cracks me up! Having previously read her book "Bless Your Heart, Tramp," and getting a taste for Rivenbark's comedy, I found "You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl" to be even funnier. I was surprised that this book doesn't have a higher rating on Goodreads! But maybe she's not for everyone. I think you have to understand that her comedy can be very southern. If there was a female version of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, her material would fit right in. She's a balance of southern sassy and snarkiness, which I enjoy.

In "Fat Girl" Rivenbark uses short comedic essays to cover a wide range of topics. Everything from, of course, weight loss, to Twitter, to Snuggie, to Barbie turning 50th, to funny misadventures with her husband and daughter. The book is, overall, a laugh-out-loud, southern slice-of-life from a nontypical NC wife and mother.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails