Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Songs for a Teenage Nomad


Vonze: 5 out of 5

Book Description: "After living in twelve places in eight years with her drifting mother, fourteen-year-old Calle Smith finds herself in Andreas Bay, California, at the start of ninth grade. Fearful of putting down roots anywhere, but armed with her song journal, she moves to her own sound track through a world that bounces her between the school drama crowd, a mysterious loner, and an unlikely boy who will become her first love. But it's the troubling truth she uncovers about her father that forces Calle to face the toughest choice of her young life."

My Thoughts: I love it when I find a character who's a kindred spirit. Calle Smith's character has helped restore my faith in YA as a genre. I know that's a pretty tall statement, let me explain...(going to digress here). Although I'm no longer a teen, I still enjoy YA for its nostalgic value, and for the fact that most adult books (other than romance) lack a sense of fun and hopefulness. You turn 20 and WHAM!, you immediately should enjoy bitter, strictly serious stories? Hmm. I could go on to say that you marketing people out there should take notice there's a market of 20+ers who want stories with the plotlines of YA (not necessarily romance) but with slightly more older characters, yet not so old that they're bitter and depressed about life.

Anyhow, back to the point, I've read a lot of good YA, and I've read a lot bad...with lead female characters as someone else once put it "too-stupid-to-live". However, Calle Smith is a strong indie chick, dealing with a unusual life with maturity beyond her years, and if she was real, I would adopt her solely on her good taste in music. I loved that she kept a music journal, jotting down the memories she associates with certain songs. As for the plot, it had a unique twist, especially involving her love interest's family. The ending was a little rushed for my tastes, but, altogether I'm surprised there wasn't more buzz about this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails