Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Top 10 of 2012

Here's a list of my best reads from 2012. If you haven't read them, maybe they'd make a good read for you in 2013.

1. Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster was my favorite read and best discovery of 2012. How had I never read this before? How was I not familiar with this as ALL?? For me it was one of those literary treasures hidden in plain view. In quick summary, an orphan girl exchanges letters with her rich, secret benefactor who has helped her into college. I guess it could be best described as old fashioned, witty, chick-lit, comparable to a YA "You've Got Mail".

2. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery was a very close runner-up for first place. Witty, delightful, enduring, at times drop-down-hilarious, I can't say enough good things about it. In a nutshell, it's the perfect novel for little girls or for us older ladies to vicariously re-live our own childhood.

3. Home Front by Kristin Hannah was a surprisingly good read for me. I don't read a lot of contemporaries, especially those without a major romance element in the plot. So at first I wasn't certain how I'd like this novel. However, it turned out to be a beautiful novel of both struggle and strength, of love lost and re-found.

4. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin After watching the anime (that sometimes gets a bad rap) my interest was piqued. When reading the novel what I found was an enchanting fantasy that truly captivated me. I plan to read more of this series asap! One of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.


5. Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell This was another saw-the-movie-wanted-to-read-the-book deal for me. I might be a little biased because I used to know people in a similar, dysfunctional family situation like the main character Ree. While not an easy-read, nor a cheerful one, I found the majority of Ree's struggles to be realistic. So much so, I don't doubt that some of it is auto-biographical on Woodrell's part. Recommended for mature readers.


6. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer was another surprisingly good read for me. I started it, honestly, out of the hope to donate it to Goodwill afterwards and clear out some of my shelf space. But I ended up keeping it. I'm not much for mysteries, but I became caught up in the strangeness of Christopher McCandless' death. By the end of the book, believe it or not, I felt like I knew him, and had a new appreciation for nature through his point of view.


7. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris was the best vampire novel I've read in a long time. In truth, I lost a lot of the awe for the Twilight series after reading this. Not saying that Twilight ripped it off, but I feel that an editor or someone else in the editing process should have noticed a lot of the likenesses and changed Twilight up a bit. But I digress, Dead Until Dark is a great vampire romance for mature readers.


8. Songs for a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson is a very underrated YA! I'm surprised that it doesn't have more/better reviews. It's now one of my favorite contemporary YA's, a great twist on the wise-beyond-her-years girl who's new in town.


9. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher Again, I'm probably a little biased here, because I'm a former huge Star Wars nerdette AND I got see Carrie talk about this book in person at Atlanta's Dragon*Con. For fans, it's interesting to learn about her life, opinions, and little facts about the movie.

10. On The Way To The Wedding by Julia Quinn was an awesome way to end the Bridgerton series. For a romance, it had an action packed ending that kept me guessing until the final chapter.


4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've read or heard of all of these except Songs for a Teenage Nomad which I have now added to my Goodreads list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have continued to read L.M. Montgomery then you know that heterochromia comes into Anne's House of Dreams. I have not encountered it outside of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was surprised to find heterochromia in Anne's House of Dreams. I was excited to tell my husband about it, we'd never encountered it in a novel before. I know it's pretty common in graphic novels and manga. Makes me wonder if L.M. Montgomery knew someone with heterochromia or simply found it interesting and used it in the book.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails