Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


My Life Next DoorMy Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I know this might be a bold statement, but this book restored my faith in my enjoyment of YA romance as a genre. For a while now, I've had the feeling that I'm too old to enjoy YA anymore...before reading this book, I found myself connecting with YA characters less and less. The whole *I'm-too-old-for-this* and "that's-not-what-it-was-like-when-I-was-teen" feeling. I guess you'd say I enjoy YA romance that has a timeless feel. Yes, times and technology change, but a good romance should always feel timeless and refreshing, no matter the readers' or the characters' age.

This book definitely has that timeless and refreshing feel.

Samantha Reed is working several jobs and getting ready for college. Her family life is almost non-existent. She doesn't have a dad, her sister is busy with her boyfriend, her mom is a politician running for re-election, and her mom has also just started dating again. Samantha's mother has always told her to keep away from the tacky, shabby large family next door. However, after years of being neighbors, when Samantha finally meets the boy next door, Jase, Samantha finds what she has been looking for: love and a happy family.

In my opinion, this story realistically shows the gradually process of having a crush, truly falling in love, and the struggle to maintain a relationship when life gets rocky. Along with the romance aspect of the story, I also loved Jase's family! They reminded me of a contemporary Weasley clan.

My hat's off to Huntley Fitzpatrick, can't wait for her next book!


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet but it has been on my radar since seeing it in Goodreads. I too am in that "I'm-too-old-for-this" stage but hopefully I can pick up a good YA soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solitarybookworm, I hope you enjoy this one! I still love YA when I can find good ones or ones that I can connect with. It does feel like finding them is becoming more challenging. =/

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails