Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Diesel Sweeties: I'm a Rocker, I Rock Out. by R Stevens.


Diesel Sweeties: I'm a Rocker, I Rock Out.Diesel Sweeties: I'm a Rocker, I Rock Out. by R Stevens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Release Date: August 14, 2013

Received via Netgalley.

"I'm a Rocker, I Rock Out." is a cute, no fuss, no muss, quick read. The main character, Indie Rock Pete, is a rocker, music elitist, and record collector.  The one or two page length strips are mini-jokes, that, seemingly, do not have a interconnected, overarching plot line. In other words, one panel sets up the joke and the next panel is the punch-line, much like newspaper comic strips. If there's a bigger plot, it wasn't apparent to me based on this book alone.

Some of the jokes were hit and miss. I generally found the jokes related to record collecting and liking-bands-BEFORE-they-get-popular to be really funny. Mainly because my brother and husband collect records, and unlike a lot of people, I search the internet for cool, new music instead of waiting for it to find me. Overall, this comic appeals to record collectors, indie music nuts, hipsters, people in a band or those who wish they were. To me, it kinda had a "Scott Pilgrim" feel. Either you get it because music is your scene or you don't.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails