Friday, June 14, 2013

A "Jane-In-June" Review: Jane Austen's World by Maggie Lane


Vonze: 5 out of 5

Book Description: (from Goodreads.com) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is one of the world's most popular novelists, a sharp and witty writer whose stories enchant on their own and in numerous film and TV adaptations. Jane Austen's World takes a look at the woman behind the literature, revealing her private life and examining the world she inhabited—a time when England was developing into a colonial power, the Napoleonic Wars raged, and the Regency took hold. No other book truly captures Austen's spirit as well."

My Thoughts: Jane Austen's World by Maggie Lane is the perfect addition to your Jane Austen collection, as well as, the perfect gift for any fellow Jane Austen nut. I received this for Valentine's Day (from sweet Oshie), and immediately began diving in. Honestly, this one took a while to read. While I am very interested in Jane Austen as a person and a writer, the book reads a little like a textbook. It's broken down into different sections and topics dealing with Jane's life, works, and her legacy. I usually managed 3-4 pages a night because the information was a lot to ponder and take in. Overall, I learned a lot about Jane and a ton about the Regency era in general. It actually helped me out in a History class I took last quarter. I highly recommend this if your a Jane nut, or interested in women's history or biographies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails