Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: Austenland by Shannon Hale


Austenland (Austenland, #1)Austenland by Shannon Hale
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For me, Austenland started great, veered off on a boring course for a while, and finally got back on track in the end.

So, in a nutshell, a single, Darcy-obsessed chick is given the trip of a lifetime to Austenland, a regency themed vacation, similar to winning on role on PBS’ Regency House Party (for those of you awesome enough to have watched that :) ). I personally would LOVE if such a place existed. I am not ashamed to admit that I have googled “regency fair” to see if renaissance-fair style Austen festivals exist (none near me).

But the Darcy-obsessed chick gets to Austenland…and it’s all very anti-climatic. She’s bored. Instead of being happy, taking in all the details, checking out the costume-clad Darcy wannabes, she wants to go back to her normal life. Because the character was bored, I was bored. A less dedicated reader might have sat the book aside.

However, if you stick with it, it DOES get better. Plot twist I didn’t see coming. And a happy ending that saved the whole book.

Sadly, the movie isn't showing near me. So I guess I'll be waiting on DVD.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails