Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: The Sum Of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet) by Julia Quinn


The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)The Sum of All Kisses by Julia Quinn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While I really enjoyed the characters and gaining a new perspective on the plots of the two previous Smythe-Smith books in the series, I didn't feel like the stakes were high enough in this story. There was plenty of action towards the end of the novel, but by then the characters were already in love and planned to get married, so I didn't feel like the external conflict mattered. It was dramatic and shocking, but I never worried that there wouldn't be a happily-ever-after.

I love Julia Quinn as an author, but I would recommend starting with another novel if you've never read her work before. Starting with the first Smythe-Smith book, "Just Like Heaven," would help the plot of this one make sense. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked Hugh's character. From what I remember, he was more-or-less seen as the villain in "Just Like Heaven" so it was nice that the truth about him was revealed. It was refreshing to read about a character with a disability who didn't have psychological issues as the main focus of the novel. Hugh was an intelligent gentleman with a cane, not a brooding, tortured soul.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails