Sunday, January 26, 2014

Review: Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson


Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True MemoirLet's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny  Lawson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Jenny Lawson gives you fair warning: something in her book will offend you.

While browsing in a bookstore, I randomly opened to the chapter on "Thanks for the Zombies, Jesus," which kinda gave me the wrong impression of the overall book (I thought it was either a hipster-obsessed zombie person or the standard mock family, politics, and religion).

But knowing that it was a Goodreads 2012 Choice winner and had several great reviews, I kept going back to it and eventually bought it.

REALLY glad that I did.

Jenny Lawson is hilarious. She ranges from witty to snarky to absurd. From her unusual childhood as a rural taxidermist's daughter, to slices of her life with her husband and child, I had a hard time putting the book down, excited for more quirky adventures with Jenny Lawson.

She's right, you'll find something inappropriate or offense in the book. It's probably not for everyone. But in my opinion, the good outweighs the bad. The fact that she's worked through times of social anxiety and depression with humor actually made the book very inspiring to me.

I liked it so much, I'm now following her on Twitter and plan to read her blog. Here's to hoping she publishes more laugh-out-loud books in the future as well!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails