Monday, July 21, 2014

Oldie but Goodie Review: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli


Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stargirl was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up somewhere along the long-many-hotel interview trail my husband and I went on last year. As it was free, at a book swap program, I wasn't expecting much. Just goes to show how wrong I can be. Why didn't I read this years ago?

The story follows an unconventional teenage girl as she switches to high school after being home-schooled for many years. It's unique in fact that it's told from the perspective of her soon-to-be boyfriend. He's not always a wise narrator, but the reader learns as lesson as he comes to grips with some of his mistakes.

I enjoyed Spinelli's easy-going writing style. Even though the story ends on a bittersweet note, Spinelli's kind and caring writer's voice made it all okay.

Overall, Stargirl's character made a big impact on me. I think we all need to strive to be more like her. Read it and you'll see.

I bought the sequel shortly after. Hoping Spinelli will add more to the series in the future.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails