Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


FangirlFangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Amazingly refreshing! Fangirl is truly a contemporary novel for the young book nerd at heart.

The main character/fangirl, Cather, writes online slash fanfiction for a Harry Potter-esque series called Simon Snow. Although I’m not personally a fan of slash fanfiction, because I’m too much of a canon nerd, I can appreciate Cather’s obsession through the eyes of friends who do enjoy it and many random people I’ve encountered online. I think it’s safe to say there’s some slash fanfiction in nearly every fandom.

The novel takes place as Cather starts and struggles with college. Her long-distance relationship isn’t going well, her twin sister wants to ditch her to meet “cool” people, her roommate seems to hate her, her roommate’s boyfriend is annoying, and for the first time she’s balancing writing fanfiction and an actual fiction writing class.

Four stars, cause I felt that the story ended too quickly! For me, things were left wide open…almost begging for a sequel. Does Cather succeed in writing something other than fanfiction? Does she move on from her fandom? Did her relationship work out? Or does she find someone she has more in common with eventually as college goes on? So many questions, I felt like there needed to be one more chapter or an epilogue at least.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails