Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Classic Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Favorite Classic Books


I love classics, they make me feel smart, teach me about the past, make me feel proper, hoity toity, and hipster-ish. Here are some of my favorites:


1.) Tie for 1st place - Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice: Yes, Bronte would probably roll over to know I tied her with Jane Austen...who she famously disliked. However, I can't help it. I can't choose. When I'm in the mood for something gothic and mysterious, I'd tell you Jane Eyre is my favorite. If I'm in the mood for something more light-hearted yet full of family and individual drama, I'd tell you Pride & Prejudice is my favorite. It literately depends on what day it is.


2.) Little Women: I don't have a sister, but I vicariously understand what having one might be like through this novel. Having a little sister like Amy probably would be annoying, but having an older sister like Meg might be fun. My temperament is a lot like Jo's, so I also enjoy her outbursts. 



3.) Anne of Green Gables: Hilarious and sweet, all-in-one. It belongs on every little girl's bookshelf. Anne Shirley is one of my favorite heroines, she's kind, but quirky at the same time.



4.) Sense and Sensibility: More sisterhood! I like Elinor and Marianne, because I see bits of myself in both characters, sometimes too impulsive, sometimes too reserved.



5.) The Secret Garden: At a young age, this book probably contributed to my love of mystery and nature. For a children's book, it has several eerie and haunting elements.



6.) Daddy Long Legs: I think people who've had pen pals can appreciate this novel and Judy's mysterious benefactor who wants letters in return for paying her tuition. To me, it's a little like a old-fashioned, young adult version of "You've Got Mail." Dated, but still charming.


7.) Treasure Island: This novel is a great adventure and a good example of a typical kid who gets caught up in extraordinary events. It's the reason I love pirates! I'm also sentimental about it because it's one of the few books my late father gave me as a child.



8.) Robin Hood: Robin Hood is the definitive good guy, helping those who cannot help themselves while the good king is away. As a kid, I learned a lot about taking a stand, helping others, and old fashioned-romance from Robin Hood.



9.) King Arthur: This one further fueled my love of history. There's something I love about the honor and chivalry of that time. Oh, and everyone should have an awesome Merlin-mentor in their life.



10.) Little House On The Prairie: More sisterhood, hardship, and history (sensing a pattern here?). I always liked Laura because she's high-spirited and seemingly fearless even though her family faces several challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails