Friday, September 12, 2014

Review: Landline by Rainbow Rowell


LandlineLandline by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall, more unique, quirky goodness can be found in Rainbow Rowell's newest work. Having also read Fangirl this year, I'm really getting a sense of Rowell's style. I like and can identify with her nerdy, somewhat nonconventional main female characters.

At first, Landline reads like a slice-of-life of a marriage with young children that is on the rocks. There's a real sense of struggle and sadness in the story. Of wanting to do what's right for family but also wanting to advance career goals. Later, magic phone calls add an element of fantasy. For me, the magic calls were really downplayed. I assumed the story would center on the awesomeness of this power, but I really have to stress that the focus of this story is maintaining and strengthening marriage. I was expecting a little more of a romantic comedy, so I also have to stress that the story is fairly serious. It has funny moments, but also has lots of stress and family disfunction.

Most of all, I enjoyed the sweet holiday ending. It was classic Christmas movie worthy.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails