Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Review: The Woman Who Would Be King by Kara Cooney



Vonze: 3 out of 5

My thoughts: I love learning about fascinating female historical figures. That's why I was drawn to "The Woman Who Would Be King".

Before picking this up, I would have considered myself a light intermediate of Ancient Egyptian history. Since childhood, I've watched a lot of documentaries, visited museums with mummies, and even seen King Tut's artifacts.

However, this book informed me about aspects of Ancient Egyptian culture, I guess, I missed all those years. That said, the information wasn't what I was looking for when I picked this book. I wanted to be inspired by Hatshepsut. But there's not enough real information about her to be inspired. Instead I learned about incest marriages required by religion, regardless of age. Explicit worship of statues. I felt graphic information was dwelt on too much.

Beforehand, I somehow assumed that the book would focus on Hatshepsut from the moment she became king and tell me what we do know about her. I felt that the book would be inspiring and heavy on the girlpower. However, it mostly feels like a book of speculation, because it focuses on covering the possibilities. Another reviewer stated it would work better as historical fiction. I agree.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails