Thursday, December 18, 2014

Review: Displacement: A Travelogue by Lucy Knisley

Displacement: A TravelogueDisplacement: A Travelogue by Lucy Knisley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was very happy to receive an ARC of this! I've been a fan of Lucy Knisley for a while. I believe I was first introduced to her work through other artists I follow on DeviantArt. Her comics are like a journal entry from a friend. Very personal and sincere. If you haven't followed her comic, please visit: lucyknisley.com/comic/

Overall, with Displacement: A Travelogue, I was very impressed by her honest and sensitive exploration of aging and her relationship to her grandparents. Before reading it, I wrongly assumed there would be the old stereotype of grandparents nagging younger generations about marriage, kids, work, and the good old days. I'm happy to report that Displacement is so much more than that. It's a very mature look at family, caring for elderly family members, allowing them to still have their freedoms, working to preserve their legacy, and striving to grow closer.

I was a little shocked that with health problems and Alzheimer's, Knisley's grandparents wanted to go on a cruise. The line between safety and freedom was very thought-provoking. I appreciated Knisley's honesty that if she didn't go with her grandparents, few people in her family would. I hate to think of what could have happened to the couple if she hadn't been there. Helping them was a major undertaking that not many individual would have wanted to do alone.

I definitely plan to read more of Knisley's work in the future! I've enjoyed her strong and authentic voice.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails