Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014

1.) Felicia Day via The Guild #1 - I feel so unhip for not knowing Felicia Day prior to this year. The Guild #1 was a good read, and the original web series was fun for me and Oshie.

2.) Allie Brosh via Hyperbole And A Half - I honestly can't put into words how encouraging this was to me.

3.) Jerry Spinelli via Stargirl - Jerry has such an easy-going and comforting writing style. Stargirl now has a place on my favorite list.

4.) Rainbow Rowell via Fangirl - As I've mentioned before, Rainbow Rowell is very refreshing because she's up-to-date with geek culture that's still on the outskirts of mainstream.

5.) Georgette Heyer via The Nonesuch - Over and over again I've seen Georgette Heyer compared to Jane Austen. I finally discovered that much like Austen, Heyer is very witty and good at creating interesting social scenes.

6.) Jenny Lawson via Let's Pretend This Never Happened - I started the year off right with Jenny Lawson's hilarious but shocking memoir. I wasn't previously familiar with her blog, but now I'm a fan.

7.) Jim Gaffigan via Dad Is Fat - I knew Jim from his stand-up and Pale Force, but not the land of humor writing. He's funny in all forms.

8.) Amy Poehler via Yes Please - She's just as crazy in print as she is on tv, in a good way!

9.) Lucy Knisley via Displacement - Another author that I knew of, but hadn't read. I was a fan of her comic online. With Displacement, I was very impressed by her honest and sensitive exploration of aging and a person's relationship to their grandparents.

10.) Hunter Davies via The Beatles Lyrics - Kudos to Davies for putting together a fun reference of the stories behind the Beatles lyrics. I learned awesome tidbits about some of my favorite songs.

7 comments:

  1. The only author on this list I've read is Rainbow Rowell. I loved FANGIRL and ATTACHMENTS. I haven't read her others, but am definitely planning to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so good, I need to read Attachments asap.

      Delete
  2. Oh! You had some really fun ones! Hyperbole and a Half is hilarious. Her posts about her dog crack me up. I'm also checking out The Beatle Lyrics. Sounds awesome! Thanks for stopping by!! Shannon @ Rex Robot Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you're welcome and thanks for stopping by here! Always glad to recommend anything and everything about The Bealtes :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Felicia Day wrote a book based on The Guild webseries! I'm definitely going to have to look that up. Hyperbole and a Half has been on my list for such a long time. Fangirl is also on my list and thanks to you I'll be reading it very soon. :D
    My TTT
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There's a prequel and I'm thinking the whole series is a comic/graphic novel now. I need to hang out on youtube more often cause I knew nothing about the series before the books.

      Hope you'll enjoy Fangirl soon! Thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails