Saturday, January 3, 2015

EOY 2014 Book Survey

Jamie The Perpetual Page Turner created this EOY Book Survey, and seeing it on several other blogs I follow, I decided I wanted to write my own. Feel free to write one and link back to The Perpetual Page Turner.

2014 READING STATS


Number Of Books You Read: 106
Number of Re-Reads: 1 (Northanger Abbey graphic novel, previously read the novel)
Genre You Read The Most From: nonfiction, manga/comics/graphic novels

 

BEST IN BOOKS


1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

It's a tough decision, but, overall, I'll have to say "Hyperbole and A Half." Great fun, stress-relief and inspiration.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

After reading a biography of Harper Lee, I decided it was time to check out a story by her friend, Truman Capote. So, I picked, "Breakfast At Tiffany's." I recall enjoying the movie and I'm a general fan of Audrey Hepburn. But the book really wasn't enjoyable or romantic for me. It was more on the sad side of romantic. Some of the language is discriminatory, although I tried to keep in mind the date it was written.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

I started this book expecting to be offended and annoyed. And, although there were times I felt both, in the long run, "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" was also an inspiration.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series started: Chi's Sweet Home 
Best sequel: Love, Stargirl
Other than "Love, Stargirl," I didn't finish any series.

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

I don't read a lot of women's fiction/chic lit, but Higgins has never failed to impress me.

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

I found myself thinking about the concepts and characters even when I wasn't reading the book.

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The facial expressions in this book are priceless, funny, and adorable.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

Ah, relaxing beach scenes.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

Heyer was so immersed with Regency England, you'd think she was born in that era.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

Overall, it made me more thankful for the freedoms I have and the things that I take for granted.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

If I remember correctly, it's been out since 2007. I didn't read a lot of graphic novels back then.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“You are an atrocious person! Since the day I met you I have become steadily more depraved.” - Georgette Heyer, "The Nonesuch"

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Diggers - a picture book given to a cousin.
Longest: Crafting and Executing Strategy - very long textbook.

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)

Don't want to give any spoilers away.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Seconds: The awkward friendship between Katie and Hazel

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

I love all the work I've read from Rachel Hauck. Looking forward to her newest title in 2015!

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

The husband, Oshie, really pressured me to read Excel Saga, a manga he's collected for years.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I don't really get fictional crushes.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Amy Poehler's first book.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

An interesting, impoverished world on the edge of civil war. Nice for reading, wouldn't want to live there.


25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Cute, quirky, mushy, fun.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

I was really conflicted about reading an unauthorized biography. However, learning about the health struggles that the Lee sisters have faced in the last couple of years hit me emotionally.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Cause in many, many ways, it's true.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

If you like dark and realistic stories, this would be a good title for you. I really needed something more light-hearted this year.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

My first historical fashion book. Inspired me to take old-timey portraits for graduation.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

I was a little mad that the ending didn't seem final enough. I'd be happy to read a sequel, but I like my endings to be tidy and not needing a sequel per say.

Bookish Life


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
My Secret Santa peeps: The Book BannerA Little Of The Book Life

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 
Pride & Prejudice & Kitties

Author liked one of my statements on Twitter :)

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
This is going to sound repetitive, but my Top Ten Tuesday on the Best Books I Read in 2014.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Getting to visit The Decatur Book Festival last minute, even with my foot problem.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

330 views, yay.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Actually, I'm always shocked and proud that anyone cares what I have to say on here. Who am I to demand love on anything?

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
That "The Little Shop of Stories" children's bookstore in Decatur, GA gives birthday parties. My kids will have a party there someday!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Finished my goal of 75 books and upped it to 100, finished with 106.


Looking Ahead


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
This one creeped up on me! I had no idea that another book in the series was on the way.

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

It sounds a little dark, but hopefully it'll be uplifting and a positive message as well.

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
One of my 30 before 30 items is to give 20 books away. I have tons of books and I really don't want to move them all again. This year I want to read and then thin down my collection.

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

I was very happy to receive a ARC! Lucy Knisley is an awesome artist and storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails