Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (27)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme that was created by Breaking the Spine to spotlight a blogger's eagerly anticipated new books.


For this Waiting on Wednesday, I picked Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee.

Release Date: July 14, 2015

Book Summary: (From Amazon.com:) "An historic literary event: the publication of a newly discovered novel, the earliest known work from Harper Lee, the beloved, bestselling author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning classic, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Originally written in the mid-1950s, Go Set a Watchman was the novel Harper Lee first submitted to her publishers before To Kill a Mockingbird. Assumed to have been lost, the manuscript was discovered in late 2014.
Go Set a Watchman features many of the characters from To Kill a Mockingbird some twenty years later. Returning home to Maycomb to visit her father, Jean Louise Finch—Scout—struggles with issues both personal and political, involving Atticus, society, and the small Alabama town that shaped her.
Exploring how the characters from To Kill a Mockingbird are adjusting to the turbulent events transforming mid-1950s America, Go Set a Watchman casts a fascinating new light on Harper Lee’s enduring classic. Moving, funny and compelling, it stands as a magnificent novel in its own right."

My Thoughts: I literately (pun intended) haven't been this excited about book news since I learned J.K. Rowling is also Robert Galbraith.

The news about Harper Lee's second novel really came out of nowhere for me. When a friend told me, I nearly flipped my lid. Apparently everyone found out about this before I did!

I'm really looking forward to reading to this book. However, at the same time, I'm also holding my breath. New info on old characters could be a good or bad thing. What if new information tarnishes Atticus' image as the model father and classic hero? What if Jem and Scout have grown up to be bums? I can imagine all sorts of terrible things that would destroy the tale I know and love in my memory.

So, in July, I'll be rushing out to get this, full of curiosity and hope that the book adds to To Kill A Mockingbird and doesn't take away from the beloved classic.

2 comments:

  1. My plan is to read To Kill a Mockingbird before this one comes out. I hope you get to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing.

    My WOW: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/02/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is a good plan. I should really re-read it. Or maybe listen to the new audiobook, I've heard (no pun intended) good things about it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails