Friday, March 6, 2015

Fast Five Friday: Five Book Characters You Relate To

Fast Five Friday is a weekly blog hop created at Cover Girls. Its purpose is to connect with writers, readers, viewers, and bloggers. With that aim in mind, we'd love for you to join us! 

Five Book Characters You Relate To

Katie- Recently, I recall relating to Katie from Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley. I liked that Katie is working to open her own business, following her dreams instead of remaining content to work as someone else's support staff. It's not a situation that's deeply explored in literature, much less graphic novels. During the course of the story, Katie uses her magic to reconnect to an old boyfriend whom she still has a flame for and explore the what-ifs of their situation. Technically, Oshie and I dated several times before tying the knot, and often wish we had a time-machine or time alternating object to start our marriage sooner.

Josephine March - I'm not sure if this is a case of life imitating art or art imitating life. Seeing the 1994 film version of Little Women had a big impact on me as a child. But I'm honestly not sure if I connected with this characters because I saw reflections of myself in her or if I mentally decided I wanted to be like her when I grew up. Either way, I connected and continue to connect to Josephine's sense and longing for adventure, her temper, her love of dramatic stories, and imagination. 

Katniss - I'll be honest, when reading The Hunger Games for the first time, I nearly sat the book aside because Katniss wanted to kill her sister's cat...but lucky for me, I read on and found that I could relate to Katniss in different ways. Much like Katniss, I lost my father too soon. I didn't have to hunt for our dinner and enter my name into a nightmare lottery, but I did have to support my family at an age most people are merely supporting themselves.

Hermione - I love learning just for the sake of learning. As a kid, I actually enjoyed assigned reading and textbooks. I had a secret wish for my school to create a summer reading list...but alas, they didn't push students to read until after I graduated. Much like Hermione, I liked being prepared for class and was kinda horrified at how little my friends studied. Also, growing up, several of my best friends were boys and while our adventures weren't real, we had a lot of fun pretending. So, I relate to Hermione because I see a lot of my younger self in her character.

Alice Cullen - Much like Alice, I am a busy body and I love to plan things. Dinners, parties, birthdays, showers, weddings, etc. I love tiny details and even tend to over do things. As an introvert, I feel that the best way I can entertain people and show them that I care is in the planning, decorations, and ensuring that everyone else is having a good time. And although I don't have dreams that alter the future, I have dreamed of people and places, only to suddenly find out good or bad news about them. Not super powers, but weirdo.

2 comments:

  1. Great list!!! I chose Hermione, too. :) Thanks for participating in Fast Five Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! :) Thanks for stopping by. Very fun meme!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails