Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!




Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit

I love kids' books, and in my dreams, I'd like to be a children's and YA librarian. I've actually considered it...but I'm a little wary of the future of libraries :(. (If you're a librarian, please feel free to give me your opinion on the job market!)

Anyhow, looking back, the books I read as a kid had a big impact on the type of stories I enjoy today. I still love history (especially anything Victorian), fantasy, vampires, science fiction, and stories of survival.
  1. The Little House Series - I've been meaning to revisit this series for the past two years. Particularly the courtship and marriage of Laura and Manly; the romance stuff that was over my head as a kid. Running my own household with so many appliances...I know it was tough to keep house back in Laura's day!
  2. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Mrs. Frisby was recently one of my top heroines. It's a lovely scifi/fantasy journey that I'd like to take again sometime. I recall really liking O'Brien's writing style.
  3. The Neverending Story - Oh how I wish that the movies followed this book better! With so many reboots, why can't someone out there in screenplay land make a Harry Potter or LOTR worth version of this??
  4. American Girl Samantha Series - Samantha was always my favorite American Girl. I can't really explain why I was drawn to her character more than the others in the series. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I really admired a Victorian style house in my hometown?
  5. Choose Your Own Adventure - Yes! I love these retro books. I've meet a lot of people who hated them...but for me, reading and more-or-less playing a choosing game, was a great elementary school library experience.
  6. Rikki Tikki Tavi - So sweet! I can't wait to read this one to my future children. For kids, there a lot of action and suspense...examples of why you shouldn't play with snakes.
  7. Bunnicula - Aw, my first vampire series. I was looking for something semi-scary to read for Halloween in 5th grade, and ended up reading the entire series. In my memory, it was spooky and hilarious.
  8. The Boxcar Children - Unfortunately, back in the day, I only read the first book! But I remember really enjoying it and wondering if I could survive in the woods behind my house all alone...lol.
  9. The Mouse and The Motorcycle (Ralph the Mouse) - As the child of motorcycle people, I kinda identified with, and also, envied Ralph the Mouse, as he was also small, but had his own wheels!
  10. Saint George and The Dragon - I recall the illustrations in this one being very beautiful. In middle school, we actually had to re-draw a scene from this story for Medieval week. So I have tons of fun memories attached to it.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Bunnicula too! I was a bit obsessed with rabbits, so it was a natural choice. :) I actually re-read it last summer and it was just as cute as I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Never had a pet rabbit, but I love watching them in the wild :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, the Little House Series was a fabulous sett of books to read. I also enjoyed the Choose Your Own Adventure series. Nice list of books!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad I'm not the only one who liked Choose Your Own Adventure :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails