Thursday, April 23, 2015

Review: Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon *spoilers*


Voyager (Outlander, #3)Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't know how Gabaldon does it. Just when you think the story is over, she adds new layers. Each book is a detail-rich epic chopped full of emotional ups and downs. There are times when I love and hate the characters, but the immersive story keeps me reading and wondering what will happen next.

The second novel in the Outlander series, Dragonfly in Amber, ended on a huge emotional cliff-hanger. Claire returns to her time while pregnant, leaving Jamie to face a battle that most likely means death. The years fly by. Claire is certain that Jamie died that day on the battlefield. But amazingly, she finds new historical data that proves he survived. So, after twenty years, she decides to return through the stones to find him.

I held my breath for the moment they were reunited. I enjoy the strong, yet equally tender connection that Gabaldon created for the couple. The dialogue and everyday historical details truly bring the story to life. Again, I don't know how she does it...I wanna know how much research she does everyday. All the nitty-gritty aspects of daily eighteenth-century life are there. My only complaint is, at times, the author goes into too much detail about minor characters. Realistically, Jamie moved on with his life after he thought Claire was gone forever, but the author's style spares none of the details. She dangles the carrot of promised reunion, but forces you to tread through drama I'd just as well be told than shown. She's a wonderfully smart author who creates an all-access journey with each book. But, part of me wonders if she enjoys torturing us. However, regardless, I'll be reading the next book and waiting until I can watch the second-half of the show.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails