Monday, May 18, 2015

Review: The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1 by Lora Innes


The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1 by Lora Innes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The American Revolution fascinates me. It's romantic to think about the days when America was struggling towards its independence and the dreams of freedom we still put hope in today.

Although I like The American Revolution as a setting...there's not a lot of historical fiction, romantic or otherwise, about this time period. There's some books for young readers like American Girl. And there's the old Swamp Fox tv series from Disney. But that's about it.

So, I love that this graphic novel is set in the American Revolution. Unlike some historic settings (medieval, regency, westerns) there's not really a formula for the birth of the nation. The author had to do her research.

The main character, Bea, seemingly time travels whenever she falls asleep. The story begins as she's passionately kissed by Alan Warren, a member of Knowlton's Rangers, who tells her that he thought she was dead. Way to start the story. At first, Bea thinks her dreams are just dreams. But as the plot thickens, the dream starts overtaking her reality.

It reads like a good YA novel. I could see it as a series on CW or ABC Family. I first learned about the book from Netgalley, so I had no idea it was originally a webcomic. My loss! That deepens my respect for the story. Typically, webcomics are more unique than a lot of mainstream comics, and it certainly rings true for this one. If it wasn't for free webcomics back in the day, I probably wouldn't be hooked on graphic novels today.

I'm very curious how this one will turn out. Will Bea decide to live in her dream world? Or will she find the modern day version of Alan?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails