Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Review: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I guess I’ve technically been a geek since 5th grade, the year I watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time, and later thought, hey, it might be fun to collect the action figures with my little brother.

We didn’t call it being a fangirl back then, but nevertheless, I guess I still am one today. So that’s why I was drawn to the ARC of this book. I didn’t know what to expect, except that I’m a fangirl and I figured I’d enjoy a guide to the fangirl galaxy.

The book is broken down into: A personal Introduction from the author, It’s Good to Be A Geek (a list of popular fandoms, terms, etc.), Geek Girls Online (an overview of the online resources available to fangirls, tips for newbies), How to Survive Conventions (lists of cons, more tips), Geek Girl Feminism (an overview with helpful terms and myths, list of strong female characters), and a list of more Resources.

I thought the guide was very helpful and encouraging. I wish this guide had existed years ago, back when I was new to conventions and feminism in general. Presently, I learned about several fandoms I’m not familiar with (Doctor Who, Marvelites, Whedonites) and great resources for geek social networking, shopping, and tutorials.

I’ve already used several of the resources, including one forum that I’m currently working on a fictional character swap. In person, day-to-day, it can be hard to find other fangirls to be friends with, so the links are great!

All-in-all, a useful and motivational guide for fangirls. Great as a general reference or as a gift.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails