Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah


The NightingaleThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The best book I've read all year. It's one of those great, engrossing reads. Kristin Hannah is known for strong female characters, drama, and romance. In her latest forte into historical fiction, she doesn't disappoint. In fact, I hope she writes more historical fiction and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this turns out to be a movie one day.

I was held in suspense as her characters continually fight for survival in German-occupied France. The book was not only an emotionally charged read, but also it taught me a unique historical prospective. Normally, when I think WWII, I envision individuals on the home front in the U.S., England, or Germany. Now I can add occupied France to the list.

Vianne and Isabelle are sisters, but family dysfunction, age and personality differences have strained their relationship. When a German solider takes up residence in their home, Vianne struggles to remain calm for the sake of her daughter, while Isabelle is eager to rebel. Suspense, action, romance, and murder follow suit.

Highly recommended. Although the subject matter seems grim, I didn’t want my journey with the Vianne and Isabelle to end. I only wish I’d read it sooner!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails