Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!



1. Holly Golightly (Breakfast At Tiffany's) - Audrey Hepburn made the character classy, because she was a classy lady through and through. The novel's character is out-of-control and I had a hard time relating to her shocking and trashy ways.

2. Scarlett O'Hara - Although 'Gone With the Wind' is a big part of Atlanta history, Scarlett is a frustrating character. Her obsession with Ashley gets very annoying and because of her mistakes, it's hard not to feel like she gets what's coming to her in the end.

3. Catherine Earnshaw (Wuthering Heights) - Don't get me wrong, I love all the gothic melodrama. But in true old-fashioned soap opera style, Catherine did Heathcliff wrong. Not saying her child deserved to be kidnapped though.

4. Anastasia Steele - I know she isn't from the sort of book that has a lot of character development. Yet, I had a really hard time believing she'd never had a crush before meeting Mr. Grey.

5. Miles "Pudge" Halter (Looking for Alaska) - I have a lot of respect for John Green. He's a good writer. But I really didn't like "pudge"...he's a user.

6. Bilbo Baggins - I love J.R.R. Tolkien's work, don't get me wrong. But I really wanted Bilbo to man-up and fight in the final battle of 'The Hobbit'. I felt like, ugh, do something Bilbo!

7. Newland Archer (The Age of Innocence) - He, too, annoyed me. I know his era required him to be conventional...but I really wanted him to shut-up about Countess Olenska or run away with her. He whined but didn't act.

8. Willy Loman (Death of a Salesman) - The play and the main character depress me. It captures family dysfunction well, but the character's level of denial is really sad to read.

9. Ishmael (Moby-Dick) - He goes on and on and on...and not much happens until the end. For me, he was the slowest narrator ever.

10. Lancelot - He's always play up as this brave, romantic figure. Seriously, dude, stealing your best friend's/boss' wife is not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails