Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Top Ten Best Books I Read In 2015



Top Ten Best Books I Read In 2015

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah- This book was an emotional, immersive journey unlike any I've read in a long time. It was equal parts suspenseful, romantic, and action-packed. The characters taught me so much about the WWII era and women's history. The story breaks your heart, but uplifts and inspires at the same time.

Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee- News of its release filled me with both excitement and dread. My reaction is still mixed. Yet, overall, it was nice to read the flashbacks containing more antics from Scout, Jem, and Dill. Those moments made the book worth it.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen- Got my Austen readin' on again! Seriously, I flipflop between liking Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice the best. Sense and Sensibility feels like two stories for the price of one, that of Elinor and Marianne. It's easy to identify with both characters, having both a practical and romantic side.

As You Wish by Cary Elwes- I really enjoyed Cary Elwes' musings on one of the best cult films ever. It was fun to relive his memories of the behind-the-scenes adventures. If you adore the movie, you'll adore it even more having read this book. Cary is a hilarious and gracious host down memory lane.

The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy by Julia Quinn- Although slightly more unconventional with its focus on high family dysfunction, the book was a page-turner for me. I honestly didn't see how this would have a happy ending. But that's the magic of a good author. Took me from "the black moment" to "oh, hey, it works!"

Wreath by Judy Christie- I have a soft spot for stories of survival, and "Wreath" is a very done and closely believable one with an inspirational message. The author instantly made me care for this runaway and root for her whole journey. After her struggles, it has a great, feel-good ending.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab- One of the most intriguing fantasy worlds I've seen lately. The main character, Kell, embodies cool, calm, and confident. He's rivaled only by the sassy female pirate, Lila. Magical sparks fly!

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien- This book has been on my bucket list for a while. But I kept putting it off, until my hubby insisted, after he re-read the series himself. Now I'm all about Aragorn/Strider's character. So awesome. I like the movies, but as they say, the book is better.

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan- This was highly recommended to me by several professors. Over and over again I'd find references to it in textbooks and non-fiction titles. So I thought it was time to check it out for myself. It may seem simple today, but for the time it was written, it has amazing allegories. I was thinking it was written 1850-1880...wrong, 1678!

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery- Beyond sweet. It's a lovely, hopeful little story with universal themes. It effortlessly asks big questions in a child-like innocent way. Another bucket list book I wish I'd read sooner.

8 comments:

  1. I've had The Nightingale on my TBR for A WHILE now. Seems SO GOOD. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm hoping it'll be made into an Oscar worthy movie, or at least, for the author to write more historical fiction. It was a great read. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I read 'The Pilgrim's Progress' this year as well! I picked it up as it was mentioned in one of my uni classes as a text that is frequently used as a comparative text to Robinson Crusoe (which we were studying at the time), so I decided I’d give it a read to make my own comparisons. It’s very interesting to see the difference in the form of the novel in the forty-ish years between the publication of each, Robinson Crusoe having been published in 1719 and is considered as the first proper novel. So interesting and I'm pleased to see this book pop up on someone's list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to meet someone else who has read The Pilgrim's Progress! Thank you for sharing the information on the comparisons between it and Robinson Crusoe. I didn't know that. I mostly learned about The Pilgrim's Progress from classes on history and religion. However, now that you've mentioned it, I'm curious about reading Robinson Crusoe in 2016. :) Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing!

      Delete
  3. I have decided Nightingale will be my first read of the year. I love Kristin Hannah so i'm excited to see her on most lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Since you already love her work, I know you'll enjoy it :) I was so happy she decided to branch out to historical fiction.

      Delete
  4. I was so excited about Ready Set A Watchman and then all the controversy surrounded it and I wasn't sure I wanted to read it, but I'm glad you like it! As You Wish sounds fantastic too. I'm glad you read A Fellowship of the Ring - I love that book. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the few flashbacks of Scout as a kid and teenager were hilarious. But the rest was heartbreaking. If it really is the word-for-word draft that Harper Lee intended, then I'm glad that she was bold enough to try and spotlight the problems here. But it was still hard to read.

      Anywho, yes, lotr! :D Why did I wait so long?? Tolkien was a genius and witty. I'm going to start the Two Towers in the new year. Maybe by that time I'll be prepared for a possible Silmarillion movie!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails