Monday, January 11, 2016

Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster (novelization)


Star Wars: The Force AwakensStar Wars: The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Like many fans, I cannot wait for the next movie to come out. Star Wars: The Force Awakens left me with so many nagging unanswered questions. The husband, family, and I have literally spent weeks theorizing what will happen next. It's like a spectator sport for us. We'll probably take bets on: Who's Rey's family?, Why has Luke been missing?, and, Can Kylo Ren be redeemed?

That said, I had to read this novelization to try and gain some clarity. I gained a little, but not much. The book doesn't answer any of the nagging questions. But if you're trying to gain evidence for a certain theory, it'll help, slightly. Reading the novelization allows for descriptions of some of the characters thoughts during key moments, such as Rey vs. Ren, Ren vs. Han.

A lot of the scenes are extending with extra dialogue. Leia and Po have scenes that were cut altogether. Some of the characters have slightly different personalities than portrayed on screen. For example, Rey seems very sweet and virtuous on film. However in the novelization, her character has a layer of self-centered driven survival, which I could buy being tempted by the dark side in the future. Is it a hint? Well, I'll still have to wait to find out.

All and all, nothing new. The film is still superior in my mind. Yet, if you can't wait, it's an entertaining distraction to add fuel to your Star-Wars "what-if" fire.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails