Thursday, August 18, 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed ChildHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

You've probably read dozens of reviews for this book/play by now...anyhow, here's mine!

I guess, we can ignore that, months and months ago, I was immediately disappointed to learn this was going to be a play and not a novel. I mean, I was happy to have new Harry Potter canon in any form. It just wasn't my ideal form.

Without J.K.'s beautiful descriptions, it took a little bit for the story to feel Potter-esque. But once it got going, I didn't really miss Harry as the main character so much. Once they got to Hogwarts, I was cool with following Albus and Scorpius. (Totally shipping Scorpius and Rose now, btw). I never thought I'd like a Malfoy, but Scorpius is a lovable dork.

Oddly enough, I actually ended up liking everyone but Harry in the story. Wow. Harry is old and kinda a dummy. He's "the man" now and has forgotten all the mischief he got into as a kid. Even though Harry saved Draco, doesn't have a problem with Albus being in Slytherin, and wants to honor Snape, he hates Scorpius based on rumors. Did Harry forget all the rumors that followed his path to adulthood? Anyhow, I suspended my belief. I might could have understood if Ginny didn't like Scorpius, based on her history being manipulated by Riddle's Diary and cause Malfoy was never nice to the Weasley family. I guess I thought Harry would know better. Anyhow, for the sake of the story, ok.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The time-turner was one of my favorite elements in the Harry Potter universe, and I was glad to see it back. Parts of the book were hilarious. The rest of the plot although shocking, felt right. It left me wanting another book/play/movie. Here's to hoping I can see the play someday or there's a movie in the works. Maybe even a movie of the play.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I got my Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I brought it from Amazon and they delivered it in just 2 days!
    Here is the link:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, that Amazon Prime is great.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails