Monday, August 29, 2016

Review: Jane Austen Coloring Book (Manga Classics)

Jane Austen Coloring Book (Manga Classics)

by Jane Austen (Author), Erik Ko (Editor)


Paperback: 98 pages
Publisher: Udon Entertainment; Clr Csm edition (April 5, 2016)
ISBN-13: 978-1927925782

Summary: (From Amazon) "Manga Classics proudly presents our first coloring book collection of artwork from our critically acclaimed manga adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Relive some of the best moments from your favorite Austen stories with our Manga Classics Jane Austen Coloring Book.
Inside this wonderful coloring book you’ll discover over 40 beautifully illustrated pages featuring: Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and others from Pride and Prejudice. For fans of Emma, there is our heroine Emma Woodhouse as well as Jane Fairfax, Mr. Frank Churchill, and George Knightley. We also include the Dashwood sisters Elinor and Marianne along with Edward Ferrars and John Willoughby- all from Sense and Sensibility."

Vonze: 4 out of 5

My Thoughts: I really wanted to get this up for a Jane-in-June or Jane-In-July!...but needless to say, with NaNoWriMo and travel, it didn't happen. =(

Anyhow, I love this coloring book! Granted, I'm super biased for it, being both a fangirl for Jane Austen and manga. Add my love of art, and the fact I do find coloring to be relaxing, and yeah, it's perfect for me. The manga style makes me feel nolgastic for Sailor Moon and the Little Women anime from the 80s.

 (My work in progress...) My favorite pages, if you couldn't guess, are the ones with Elizabeth and Darcy.

Although I am enjoying it, my one complaint is the book greatly lacks pivotal and/or romantic scenes from the novels.

You get a lot of pretty pages with characters, several with Elinor and Marianne, but not a lot of pages from the actual story. It's almost like the coloring book itself is spoiler free. You could color the whole thing, without ever having read Austen and you still wouldn't know the plot.

Which, granted, would work out well if you haven't read one of the novels. But, as a fan, I'd assume you'd want to color the most dramatic moments.

So, that's the reason I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. Otherwise, it's very lovely and detailed. Lots of flowers and small areas that require careful detailing. It would make a good gift for the Austen fan who has everything.

Aside from the pages, I also love the bookmarks in the back! I'm planning to make copies of the bookmark pages, color them, and turn them into laminated bookmarks. I always need more bookmarks in my life.


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails