Thursday, December 1, 2016

Review: Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy

Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens DemocracyWeapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy by Cathy O'Neil


I am not a math person. Never have been, never will be. However, after learning about this book from the 2016 Goodreads Choice Awards, I thought it'd be a good gift for my husband, who is a math nerd.

For me, the book is reminiscent of Freaknonomics. It covers thought-provoking, seemingly hidden, forces that rule our society. I really related to her example of a college student who struggled to get a minimum wage job to stay out of debt, because of interview personality questions that are looking for "one type" of worker. Clearly, regardless of dedication, need, or references. I faced a similar situation during the recession.

Glad someone is highlighting these important issues, for the economy, for math, for science, and for people's livelihoods.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails